05 August 2005

The doorbell rings

I returned from work around 6.30 this evening and put in a load of laundry, then quickly began relaxing. "Time is of the essence" (excuse the cliche usage), but doubly so anymore. About 2 hours later, someone began knocking on the door and ringing the doorbell. When I answered I found two pre-teen to early teenage girls standing.

"I know this is going to sound really weird," says one girl, "but do you mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"Sure," I agreed, though somewhat hesitantly.

"Do you have anyone 18-21 living here?" she asked.

"Uhhh... I am," I replied, thinking they were wanting me to buy cigarettes or something.

"Ok, well, here's the thing," she said, finally beginning to reveal her true intentions. "I have a friend who lives a few apartments down and she doesn't know we're doing this, but she hasn't been on a date in a really long time and I was wondering if you would like to go out with her?"

She took a breath after trying to fit that all into one quick sentence.

"I don't think I could do that," I muttered, coming up with whatever I could to get out of this situation as quickly as possible. "Sorry," I said, as I slowly closed the door.

No comments: