27 December 2005

In limbo

The latest news on my planning for my trip to Finland:

I spoke with the consulate in NYC and they informed me that it is going to take longer than anticipated to get my residence permit to me. I had previously been told that two weeks was a fair estimate, but tuesday I was told it would be 3-4 more weeks. One week down at this point, but that still puts me over the deadline of my beginning of orientation at HY (helsingin yliopisto = helsinki university) on 9 Jan. Still not sure what I am gonna do there, since I really need to book a flight, but don't wanna take a chance of not having stuff in time....

The other worry I have at this point is figuring out who I am going to stay with that first night if I arrive in Finland after 4 pm (the time the rental office from which I need to pick up my keys closes). I need to just ask someone, but I'm not sure who to ask and I feel bad asking, esp since I still don't have a date of arrival. That part will work out eventually, once everything else works itself out. Still, I don't like having it hang over my head.

That's about it for the trip planning update. Still not sure about my internet access once I arrive, and Finland is on holiday this week, so communications with any offices there won't be answered til after the 1st. Guess we'll see how virtuously patient I am;) Hope the holiday season has treated everyone well!

No comments: