16 June 2006

Kaiken lisäksi lähellä

An American, a German and a Swede walk into an R-kioski... ok, couldn't resist the opportunity for the set up. A typical awkward social interaction in Finland: yesterday me and a couple exchange student friends pop into the R-kioski to grab some ice cream and pop before heading to the beach. Talking in English in an empty store, the cashier of course notices that we are not all Finn. When I approach the register to pay the nice woman greeted me with a friendly "Hi" at the same time as I greet her with a jovial "Moi." Not sure what to take of one another, we both look at our feet, chuckle nervously, and hurry the transaction along without another word.

1 comment:

marishamunchkin said...

this reminds me of a very similar joke i heard once about an American, a Hungarian and a Brit who walked into Mcdonalds. eager to improve his language skills the American ordered dinner in Finnish only for the young girl serving him to turn round to the chefs and shout 'CHICKEN'...lol, still makes me laugh whenever I think about that day! :)