18 June 2006

Shake and bake

I haven't tanned well (in terms of sun tan) since I was about 12. So you can imagine my surprise when after 2 hours on the beach I removed my shirt to find a farmer's tan like no other. I started thinking that there must be something fundamentally different about the sun in the northern climbs to cause this (other than the fact it shines 24 hours a day). After being out for a couple more hours yesterday and getting burnt (!) I decided it was worth looking into. Turns out that it's unsurprisingly an effect of a new (post-1980) thinning of the ozone layer in the north pole region. This may be the first time that I can legitimately say that I've experienced the effects of (human) damage to the planet. I found this article on the situation. Here is a picture (shown above) of the cloud doing the damage. A more technical scholarly article comparing and predicting. Finally the Finnish meterological institute and their joint research project with Argentina.

No comments: