28 October 2006

Helsinki in GQ!!!!

I'm addicted to GQ. I'll admit it. I love the magazine and archive my copies meticulously (for those of you who don't know GQ, short for Gentleman's Quarterly, though it is actually a monthly, is a magazine for men that talks about just about everything a gender-specific magazine would- fitness, style, food, booze, music, books, etc.).You can imagine my surprise then, when I was flipping through my most recent issue and in the travel section highlighting the best winter escapes, tucked between two tropical islands and coming in at number 2, I found none other than my beloved Helsinki.

Why Helsinki? The article says Helsinki has "transformed itself into a design capital and has some of Europe's best shopping, hotels, and restaurants." Among the places reccomended are Klaus K and Ilmatar, of course Chez Dominique, the Finnish design staples Iittala and Marimekko, and (surprsingly) the Old Student House Vanha.

As part of this list, each location's best attraction is hailed under the heading "If you only do one thing...." So what do you think they picked for Helsinki? Or better yet, what would you do if you could only do one thing?

No comments: