12 January 2006

First proper entry from Finland

Hello everyone, and greetings from Finland!!!! After a bit of a bumpy ride and settling in, I am finally set up at my place somewhat (enough to have this internet connection, so hopefully I will now be able to keep you regularly informed of my doings in Finland. A lot has understandably happened in my first 5 or 6 days here, so I try to write the highlights and keep it coherent.

The flight was about as expected. I had a sinus cold, so adjusting to the pressure was pretty harsh. To top it off, there was a young family on board with two small children. The parents proved themselves less than considerate when the had an argument with 3 flight attendants about their luggage before we even took off. It only got worse... The two young children seemed to be in a screaming contest in all but perhaps 2 hours of the flight, each trying to be louder to get more attention from their parents. After about 2 hours into the flight though the seatbelt sign was still on i had to get up into the overhead bin and get my advil. I did, however, resist the temptation to order a stiff drink (i.e. coffee and kahlua, scotch, vodka tonic), all of which were complementary (or complimentary, I'm not sure which?). I knew it would make me feel worse in the end. On the way back, however, look out plane bar!

Once I got here, only one of my expected friends (Heli) was at the airport to greet me. I was saddened to learn that my friend's grandmother had died the previous day while I was in flight, so there was a slight change of plans, but nothing major. We went to this friend's flat (Petra), as I still stayed with her, and I was amazed how together she was all things considered. If it weren't for her tired look, I never would've guessed that anything had happened.

The next day (Saturday) I got my cell phone and met Petra's sister Pauliina and her fiancee Jarkko. They are both awesome people and have helped me out a lot. Jarkko let me borrow his old phone so i don't have to buy a new one, and the last 3 days or so he has been going around with me helping me open a bank account, look for furniture, sign up for cell phone service, and just get around the town in general. He has been a great help, and I am not sure what I would have done if it weren't for everything he has done. One big thing: When I rented this place they said it was unfurnished. That was fine, as I had no other option. What I didn't understand or expect, however, was that unfurnished meant that I didn't even have a light in the ceiling, just some cables hanging down. We went and got a lighting kit, and Jarkko is installing the light for me, being the handyman that he is. We tried to put it in last night, but there were some problems so he has to rig it some special way. I guess we'll try again either today or tomorrow. I'm tired of being in the dark all the time.

Otherwise, my flat is nice. I have two Finnish roomates. I've hardly spoken to either. This is normal. They both seem like pretty awesome guys though. My room is twice the size of my room at brown, but i have maybe 1/16 of the amount of stuff to fill it. I need to put something on the super white walls.

I completed an orientation course at the university from monday-wednesday. It was alright. Pretty informative, though because I'm not rightly and exchange student and instead just a visiting student, there are a lot more things i need to do that were done for the exchange students. For example, they were all registered for courses. I wasn't able to register until monday, and now i have to wait until tuesday before i can register for classes that start monday. this is a problem. It'll work out somehow though, I'm sure. I still have to look at classes and such, as many i had previously chosen are now cancelled.

I think that's the bulk of the boring orienting myself stuff. I missed tons probably, but I'll fill in any important details later. Like how awesome the transportation system is, once I get registered for classes and can get my student card and helsinki travel card anyway. Just a few things I found amusing or thought some of you might appreciate, then I will leave you to get on with the day.

-I was hurried the other day and didn't have time to search out a proper cafe, so I popped into *gasp*mcdonalds*/endgasp* for a quick bite. It's actually much higher quality food here. Anyway, I thought it was hillarious that while I was eating the normally children's oriented radio that plays through the speakers was spinning house/techno music. Beebopping while I ate. awesome.

-Aaron, while exploring yesterday I found the perfect accordion shop, just off the number 8 tram line. We'll go when you visit:)

-Two nights ago I went to a grocery store to pick up some things. The typical sidewalk in Finland is a sheet of ice (i'll try to get a picture). While I was standing at the corner waiting at a crosswalk a huge wind came (it was a really windy day, more than any day in providence or columbus ever was). Slowly at first then more quickly I started sliding along the ice, being pushed into the street by the wind. I had to grab hold of the pole with the crossing button on it soas to not get blown into the street. It was funny, after I secured myself from being blown into "rush hour" traffic.

-And maybe Rahim will appreciate this most of all, but you all will get a chuckle I'm sure. Just after my friend Petra yawned and made the yawnning sigh noise Jarkko said, "And she said," the translation of "that's what she said" into finnish. I thought it was hillarious, anyway, but then again I always think that phrase is. So is your mom.

Next time hopefully there will be pictures. I had a small problem formatting my memory card so i lost all the first pictures I'd taken, but it's no big deal.

So yes, LEAVE COMMENTS, EMAIL ME, keep in touch. Let me know I should keep writing this, at least.

I miss you all, and send my warmest wishes (you know it means something if i am willing to part with some of my much needed heat;))

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear things are going well. I will even go as far as to truly avoid mentioning your consumption of McDonald's as you've already found an accordion shop. (Excellent.)

BTW, I have totally tried to google map your address, but was unable to do so. They appear to have street names but are for some reason not finding yours in a regular search. Are there any major landmarks near you new abode?

Anonymous said...

Kytta back in finland, but wait aren't finnish or something? Kytta sounds like a very typical fin name. Well you'd know way better than me. Anyhoo congrats on making it to the Finland safely. Just curious... are these all people you met back during your exchange or are they people you met during school/other travels. Fill me in because, hey, I really want to know. Well I'm trying to think of some divine wisdom to impart to you...(insert monumental thought here). Anyhoo, Look for my hotel, or at least that one that bears my name; I saw it when I was last in Helsinki.

love yah.. Anna

Anonymous said...

I quite enjoyed reading your delightful blog. I'm sure things will get better as time passes. Always make time for fun and such. btw when will you be back? i havent seen you in ages.
fondest wishes,
love,
Selenaaaa

Jaska said...

Aaron, I live right by the Pasila train yard, or look for Hartwall Arena, where the Jokerit play hockey. I'm going to a game with my friend Jukka soon.

Anna, my last name is indeed Finnish. Translated, it's slang for "cop." Most all of the people I'm seeing now are people I met back during the exchange year. I haven't met many new Finns yet, but I have met a few. I'll keep my eye open for the hotel- any idea where it is?

Selena, I'll be back sometime this summer, in columbus again for the summer. I will call as soon as I get back.

much love,
jimmy james