14 January 2006

Susanna visits, Zook concert, backstage!

It's hard to believe yesterday was only Friday. My sense of days is so messed up right now. Hopefully classes starting will help me figure that out, though i doubt it sense at least right now it looks like i'll only have class on wednesday and thursday, 2 hours each day. It's pretty awesome.

So, yesterday my Finnish friend from Brown came down to Helsinki (she's been up in Tampere visiting family). It was awesome to see her, in Finland nonetheless. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of us though! Anyway, we walked around the centrum a bit, visited a coffeeshop, and caught up on life in general. She got to hear me complain about all the problems and delays I've been having with the university... haha hopefully that wasn't too boring, and maybe it was even useful, since she is considering coming here to study next year. It was still pretty awesome to have someone familiar here.

After that I jumped on the tram to go with my friend Petra to go see another friend from Iisalmi who I haven't seen since I left. From left to right, Hanna, Petra, Hanna's boyfriend Villu, and me. The head Villu is holding is some creepy Hannible-esque flower pot or something. It was weird.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

First we met up at Villu's parent's apartment in the city (they live in Lahti, I think) and had a bit to drink. Two beautiful girls. What's a guy to do?

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Then we jumped on the tram to head downtown for the concert. We hadn't finished all the alcohol, and we were gonna be waiting in line for a bit, so we brought it with us.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

The band we were there to see is called Zook. The warm up act was this awesome guy named Johnny Kenya. He, apropriately, played Kenyan music. Zook is a rock type band with 3 finns and one foreigner. I'm not sure where he's from.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

As it turns out, my friend Hanna is a pretty smooth talker. She walked up to the stage guy, worked her magic, and next thing I knew we were backstage watching the show from there, standing with the band between sets. It was absolutely amazing! The music was pretty good, they played really well, and I had an all access pass. Yeah, a good time overall.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

After the show we had about 6 minutes to catch the bus or we'd have to wait an hour for the next one. I decided to stay at my friend Petra's place again so I wouldn't have to wait and because I haven't yet looked up the night bus info. We ran accross town, making it just in time. When we got to Petra's place I was asleep before we'd even finished making my bed. Petra must've tucked me in, cause I woke warm and cozy under blankets. Another great day in Finland.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was nice to see you the other day. Always glad to be an ambassador of Brown/US/Finland. I'll keep stalking you via blog to see how your time in Helsinki is going and figure out some tips for myself along the way. Pidä hauskaa!

-Susanna