14 February 2006

Back to basics

Alrighty. It's time to take a break from neofunctionalism for today and keep up with my responsibilities. I realized that while there are a lot of rants here about my daily happenings, everyone might not have a context to put it in. So, very briefly, originally I am from Columbus, Ohio, but I go to school up in New England (in Providence, RI) where I study International Relations. Currently I'm studying abroad in Finland at the University of Helsinki. I also have a fairly strong background in Neurosciences/Psychology/Cognitive Sciences, as my focus was there many years before switching mostly to IR. Specifically within the field of IR I am interested in the European Union and other European studies. Accordingly, these things might pop up here now and then. That's it in a nutshell. I should probably put at least some of that in the "About me," and perhaps I will some day.

The other thing I think I have been neglecting is highlighting the differences between my experiences here versus the familiar things in the US. While this may subtly come through in some of my posting, I think there are many real differences that can be mentioned and appreciated. It's slightly difficult for me at this point, having lived in the country already previously for a year. And while each culture's differences occasionally floor you and leave you gasping for breath, generally my MO is to smile and move on, not dwelling so much on how I'm different from those around me but trying to integrate myself a little more. Nonetheless, there are things that stand out in mind, and I will try to highlight those especially over the next few days, and then as novel comparisons can be made. Hopefully this will culminate in that post about sauna I promised a while back;)

Until then, hang out tight- summer will be here before you know it. But not before my ski holiday in April!

No comments: