12 February 2006

Sundays in Finland

Even more so than I dread Sunday in the US, in Finland the problem is much worse. My dislike of Sunday is completely a phenomenon of my own divising. Once Friday rolls around I get into this mindset that, although I have mountains of work to do, I can breath a little easier because I have two days without classes to get everything read, written, and studied. Next thing I know Sunday has arrived and I have done absolutely nothing. So Sunday I get to try to enjoy the last moments of the weeekend while working furiously to get everything I should've done already finished.

In Finland, at least thus far, I haven't really had much rush work to get done. And since I don't have classes Friday right now, I have the whole day Friday to get work done and be productive while the library is still open normal hours. Sunday rolls around, and instead of having too much to do, there's NOTHING to do! Everything is closed except for the corner market food shops, the city is empty, and there are much fewer special events (i.e. classical concerts, movie showings, and general things of cultural relevance that happen in a city of this size in the US).

Today especially I have been going stir crazy since classes Thursday were cancelled last week (prof. had some problem). Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights I spent out with friends, last night I decided I needed to rest, and now today there aren't many (any) options to chose from. As much as I enjoy the Finnish winter, I can't wait for summer to come and breath some life into this city!

No comments: