23 February 2006

Finnish hockey, practice for exam

For those of you who haven't heard yet, last night the Finnish Lions (Suomen leijonat) knocked team USA out of the Olympic tournament by a score of 4-3. The game began at 18.30 but i had class until 20.00, so I unfortunately missed the start. My Dutch friend Siem from the same class was also eager to watch, so we made our way to a sports bar as soon as the class let out. Of course the first bar was packed, so we continued on, looking for a bar that at least had a little space. We ended up at the Student's Bar in Vanha where we watched the game with a big crowed of Finns and had a couple beers. Watching hockey in Finland is like watching soccer in England. Fans are rabid. It's a great experience though, and one of the best times to see a Finn not being the stereotypically shy person.

I had to make it an early night, however, because today my first exam in Finland was scheduled!! The course wass Finnish foreign policy, I've mentioned that professor before. The exam was scheduled for noon. I arrived a few minutes early, as is customary. The professor had not yet arrived. We weren't sure if the "academic quarter" giving 15 mins to change classes applied on exam days or not, but we assumed it must, so we waited 15 minutes. Then 30. 45...50... one of the other students finally decided to go get the building caretaker and ask him to call the professor. He got ahold of the professor and after an hour waiting the guy said the professor was cancelling the exam and would email us more info. So, it turns out my first exam in finland was a non-existent one. I can handle that, I suppose....

No comments: