19 February 2006

Trust in Finnish society

Another aspect of Finnish culture that amazes me day in and day out is the amount of trust that the society has for its members. Not only are the Finns a trustworthy people, they're a trusting people. Unlike many societies, Finns don't automatcially expect the worst from people. That is not to say that they are naïve in any way, shape or form. They are far from that. But while not allowing themselves to be played the fool, Finnish people geniunely seem to find the good in most people (old prejudices die hard).

One place where this fact is very apparent in everyday life for me in Helsinki is in the city transport system, HKL. Public transport is something of an enigma to most people living in the states, save for perhaps New York or Boston. I have seen many different methods throughout my travels, yet the one here in Helsinki never ceases to amaze me. Why's that, you might ask? Helsinki is a rather small city, and it's not like they are moving hoards and oodles of people in and out of the city. That much is true, but that is not what impresses me. Whenever I have headed towards the platform in New York, Paris, or Berlin, I always have to make a stop at the gate on the way down to swipe my card or insert my token, after which I am able to pass through the gate. Here in Helsinki there are no gates. When climbing onto the tram you can enter through any door and simply take your seat. No checks for travel pass, waiting in line for the driver, etc. It seems that here it is quite simply assumed that if you are using the transport you have paid for it.

Now, as I said, the Finns aren't shmucks and they realize that there are those that would look to capitalize on the system (Finland isn't THAT much of a welfare state). In order to head this off there is the threat that a ticket inspector might someday pop onto the tram or approach you on the platform to request your travel card. If caught, a hefty 66€ fine will be imposed. I have been in Helsinki now over 5 weeks, and I have seen the inspectors twice, two days apart, at exactly the same time of day at exactly the same metro stop. How much deterrent can this really be, when this is the case? There was a small clip in today's 100 that I was reading on the way to the library which talked about the revenues generated from imposing these fines. To me the figure was quite low- I would expect many more people to try their luck free riding. Rational choice theory taught me all too well about that particular phenomenon. Yet, at least in this arena, Finland seems to exist beyond the rational world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well your hockey team is on a roll and knocked the US out of the tournament but that is no real surprise.